Monday 27 June 2011

Decorative Hot Air Balloon Project.

You know how it is when you see something & think, oooo I must try that? Well this was exactly what happened when I saw this hot air balloon idea in a magazine recently. (Please forgive me I cannot remember which.)


I can honestly say it has been a long time since I made something just for the sake of having fun. This project was 'just for fun' & I enjoyed it as did my kids when they got chance to get stuck in & help.


So if you would like to make your own decorative hot air balloon you will need the following items:


A balloon, a newspaper, PVA glue, patterned paper, paint, string or cord & any other additions of your choice. I added beads & a chipboard button. For the basket you can use either a premade one or a container. I used a yoghurt pot.


STEP 1: Mix your PVA glue with water & cut your newspaper into pieces. You will need to cover your balloon in 4-6 layers depending on the thickness of the paper. Make sure you overlap each piece slightly.




STEP 2: I chose to cover the top half of my balloon with brown paper bag, I used 2 layers this time. You could also use mulberry paper or just paint it in a co-ordinating colour to the bottom half.



STEP 3: Next I cut the opening to my balloon to match the size of my yoghurt pot. I also painted the bottom half of my balloon using Ranger acrylic paint. (Colour: Pool)



STEP 4: Time to get your strings in place. I lay my strings over the balloon then added some PVA glue to the top to hold them in place. I cut 1 string a lot longer than the others & tied a knot in it. This is the string used for hanging. You can also secure them in place using tape. I also covered this top area with a circle of patterned paper when finished.



STEP 5: Time to decorate. Take your patterned paper & cut 2 strips approximately an inch wide. The size of your balloon will decide how much paper strip you will need. I used 2 12in strips & a small 4in strip to get right round my balloon.




STEP 6: Time to add your 'basket' & any other

decorative bits & bobs. You will need 4 strings for this step they are best attched before the patterned paper strip. You can fasten your strings to your basket in many ways. I made a small loop at each end them threaded another string through these & fastened them into place around the pot securing with a tight knot.



And here is my finished balloon. I love how cute it looks!

Thanks for stopping by, if you have any questions just ask & I will get back to you ASAP.

Ali x

1 comment:

Kristin K. said...

Love your blog. So glad I found it through sb.com. Hope you will come follow me at my new blog www.kristinkottwitz.blogspot.com